Friday, January 25, 2008

Just Pile it On

My boss excitedly called me this morning after I'd gotten a whole three hours of sleep, to tell me that I'm even busier. It was not well received.

1. I didn't sleep because I sat up most of the night worrying about stuff that needs to be done. I worked on the computer from 10 to midnight, just to get a head start on Friday's junk.

2. I'm hugely busy right now because we are in full swing with the American Cancer Society stuff as well as the event planning for my job, and also the fundraiser for this guy I know who is running for Superior Court Justice. I just signed on to help him and his wife have a couple of political fundraisers.

3. My boss and I have been at odds with each other over our current projects and just how much effort it actually takes for everything to get done.

So he called me to let me know "we've" been hired to put on a Spring Break event, right in the heart of all the spring break activities. It's going to be one of those Motocross/skateboard freestyle things that cost a ton of money. Oh yes, and don't forget the concert. Gotta get a concert put together.
Logistics is something that gives me anxiety attacks. It keeps me up at night. It makes my head hurt more than usual. An event like this is HUGE logistics.

He seemed a bit miffed when I didn't respond too excitedly to all this great news of his. Well, he has no idea how much pressure he put on me. The people who are paying for this event are very shrewd business men who could CRUSH us if they are not happy. And they are good friends with my boyfriend. I don't want them holding anything against my boyfriend because this Spring Break deal went the wrong way.

Lucky for me, I've got some contacts with some people who might help make this event turn out pretty cool. I've got Billy Bob Thornton's manager's info, and if I booked him for the concert it could actually be bitchin. And I also have the info for booking Tony Hawk, who puts on a big freestyle jamboree type event quite regularly.
Just waiting to hear back from them, to see if they can help me.

I took the time to sit and talk with an old friend last week, when I saw him outside of Starbucks. It was a smart move; his son works for West Coast Choppers, as the General Manager. Not familiar with that company? It's Jessie James and Sandra Bullock. So now I've got this guy's business card, and I think I might pitch to him the idea of coming to Havasu for my truck show that I'm having in April. We're going to have custom bikes on display as a part of the show. My boss keeps yelling at me that we're going to lose money on the truck show; I keep telling him that if we find something that will attract tons of spectators, we can make a lot of money on the admission charges. This could be the ticket.

So there it is. Just Pile It ON.