Friday, February 29, 2008

Myspace Miracles

There are certain people on Myspace who I'd never meet in a million years, and I consider them awesome friends. We email each other little tidbits of our lives, both the good and the bad, and we entertain each other with funny pictures and stories.
My myspace friends keep better track of me than the ones who live down the street!!

Interesting how that works.

My first friend on Myspace was an Englishman named Miles who was living in Houston. By English I mean he moved to Texas from Oxford. He would periodically post a blog about what was going on in his life, and he would provide in-depth movie reviews. I don't know what he does for a living but I'm getting the feeling from recent posts that he's a movie reviewer of some type.
After a bad breakup in Houston, he relocated to Wyoming to live with a friend he'd met on Myspace. That didn't last, because he quickly realized that Wyoming is COLD and BORING. I remember sending him a message, suggesting that if he really wanted to take advantage of that quirky accent of his then he needed to move out West where we suck up all that is different about a person, chew it up, spit it out, and make them really regret the whole venture in the first place. The entertainment industry.

Next post I read from him, he'd relocated to Los Angeles. He moved into a house at the beach, attended a movie pre-screen and provided a review. He recently stood outside the gates of the Oscars and got to see some celebrities arrive on the red carpet. Adventures, to say the least!

He and I swap stories (he once found the members of The Cure sipping tea in his back yard in England--and I once danced with hip hop singer Coolio to one of his songs)
And we laugh at ourselves for being so starstruck.

I think what makes these Myspace friends so stable is we can pick and choose which stories to swap, which drama to share, and we never get each other involved in the personal garbage that will ultimately chase a close friend away. We all have personal garbage.

If most friendships were on myspace, the world would probably be VERY QUIET...