Monday, March 10, 2008

Time For AARP

I'm an adult now. I've never felt this way, not even with all the little milestones being met in the past. You know, buying a house, a car, doing the job with the briefcase, paying taxes, buying alcohol without the help of the older neighbor friend. You know.
So I'm an adult now, because I set up a college fund for my son. I've had a savings account for him for almost 10 years now, but it has never had a significant amount of money in it. And the interest it's earning is laughable.
When Steve and I discussed my tax return and other stuff, he told me I should really consider starting a 529 Mutual Fund. It's specifically for educational expenses and it can be tailored to fit whatever budget you have. So I looked into it, and quickly set an account up before I had a chance to spend my tax refund on garbage and more garbage at Wal Mart and Ebay.
So now I have a good start on Shay's college fund, and at $50 a month it's not so much of an obligation.
Wow. A college fund.
I'm all grown up now.