Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Live, Dammit!!



We found this little guy in the swimming pool of the place where we had our last 2 events, at a Clubhouse facility. He was probably trying to get a drink and then fell in. I tried CPR. It didn't work. Poor little dude.

On a happier note:

I've been a member of my family's website for about 10 years, it's something my dad's sister put together to keep us all in touch. At first it was a struggle to get people to post pictures and such, because 10 years ago not everyone was on the internet. Not in Arkansas, anyway. My aunt did the bulk of the work, scanning and posting pictures from her childhood. She also created an online family tree, working from some genealogy research she'd done in her spare time. It would've been easier if she'd had some help, but I think it was how she filled in her lonesome hours. Her husband of 25 years had just died of a heart attack.
Right now, I'm the site administrator; we've decided to take turns doing it. All it means is I pay the $29.95 yearly charge whenever it's my turn to administer. And sometimes I send an email out to everyone, reminding them to visit the site and post their news and pictures.
If it weren't for that site, I wouldn't know my family that lives 2,000 miles away.

So as we were sitting at Steve's cousin/stepsister's house on Sunday, I mentioned the site. I was listening to all the questions that everyone had about each other, and I was astonished that they knew so little about each other, and their family.
After speaking to several people, it was agreed that we'd set up a family website.
By Tuesday morning, I'd set it up. I sent out invitations to everyone using an email list we'd gotten a year ago at a family gathering. As soon as the site got out in the emails, people starting logging on. Very cool.
There's very little content, of course, but people are coming to the site.

If anyone out there is interested in setting up their own family site, go to myfamily.com
You'll be glad you did! All you need is your family's email addresses to get started.