Thursday, January 8, 2009

Finally The Education is Making Sense!


All thru college, I took my courses seriously. I knew that I was going to make a career out of government work, and everything that I was being trained for in college would be invaluable.
Then I worked in government, and I became very VERY disgruntled because the agencies I worked for were incredibly stupid. The managers were there because they'd been there for a certain length of time. NOT because they deserved a management position, or because they had the education or experience to do the job. They were in a supervisory role because they were there. And they were awful. I mean, AWFUL. One of them was pretty much unemployable in the field she'd chosen. But because she slept with the right person, she was the boss. Amazing. That was a Federal job. The other one was a supervisor because she had an education, but it was in a completely unrelated field. She knew how to micro-manage, and that was about it. I watched as she misappropriated funds, belittled employees, and committed fraud on a daily basis. One of the worst bosses I've ever had. That was a County job.

Incredibly frustrating for a person who worked her ass off to get a degree in Government.

I recently saw an advertisement that our City government was looking for applicants for something called the Community Investment Advisory Committee. This is a committee that watches over budgetary issues and advises the City Council on how money should be spent. It's complex because you have to know lots of little details like Fire Dept ISO ratings, Grants, City infrastructure, water supplies, population trends, and current laws. And you have to be up on the State's current financial position.
You also have to know people in each government department that can give you knowledgable, truthful answers about how their department is run. And know what questions to ask.
This is all stuff I know, which would be silly if wasn't able to put it to some kind of use.
So, the City Council appointed me to this committee. I was excited, until I went to our first meeting today. Then I was IMMENSELY excited because I realized that all this information that interests me, is now being put to good use and I can actually have a function and make an impact!!!!
We meet once a month, and we are given information and assignments according to the areas we are researching. I can't wait to show the committee the results of my studies. AWESOME!!