Thursday, February 26, 2009

London Bridge Fell Down



Could you imagine the St. Louis arch being taken apart and shipped to another country? And being replaced with another arch? And then not knowing really where the original arch went?

Whenever I travel, I am sure to tell everyone I meet that I am from Lake Havasu City, Arizona, also known as "The American Home to the London Bridge." I'm surprised at the number of people who have heard about the London Bridge being relocated to the desert. But then I met a gentleman from London this weekend who didn't know the Bridge was in Arizona. Wow.

So I explained to him, "In the 1960's, our City's founder looked for something to serve as a tourist attraction for his new community. So he went to London and bought the London Bridge, since it was falling apart and scheduled to be replaced by the Thames Bridge. Each stone was shipped over, numbered, and the Bridge was reassembled. The blast marks from the German military during WWII are still visible, and the light poles on the top of the bridge are made from WWII canons."

He said something like, "Wow. I didn't know that."

And people say that AMERICANS are the oblivious ones!