Sunday, August 9, 2009

Titanic Artifact Exhibit

While in Vegas this past week (it was actually Christmas. We told the kids last December that they weren't getting presents: they were getting a nice vacation)
we attended both the Bodies Exhibit and the Titanic Exhibit. Cameras weren't allowed in either one, but I had to sneak one photo. This just blew me away.
A wooden cabinet filled with dishes survived the wreck back in 1912, and sat on the ocean's bottom for decades. Eventually the wood deteriorated and the dishes fell to the sand just as they had sat stacked in the cabinet. A photo of the dishes as they were found was on the wall behind this glass case. But these are the actual dishes:



The exhibit was much better than I expected. At the entrance, we received a "Boarding Pass" which had a name, age, cabin location (I was a second class passenger) and a little background info on your particular person.
You carry this Pass throughout the exhibit, then take a walk at the end to a wall that displays the names of the survivors and the dead. You have to find your name on the wall to see if you lived. And if your family lived. I didn't want to do it, I really dreaded that part. But I lived, and so did the daughter I was traveling with. My fictional husband drowned, though. I'm under the assumption that I was okay with that. My heart went on.
The neatest thing about the artifacts being displayed was how details were given about each person. They showed a pair of shoes and some little trinkets that belonged to a man, and along with it a short story of his life was told; like why he was on the Titanic and what he did for a living. It tied the reality in with the items on display.

The Bodies Exhibit was like a very interesting anatomy and physiology lesson, and that was neat to be able to point out little things and explain to Shay what the function was. He was fascinated. No pictures, though. There were too many people around to sneak one.