Friday, April 29, 2011

A Metaphor

I remember the chilly day that Tracy and I rode our three-wheelers up into the mountains to explore some new trails, and we discovered a 30-foot tall saguaro cactus. It was so fortunate that I'd already developed a habit of carrying a camera with me ALWAYS....


You'll have to click on the photo to see me. I'm standing at the base of this giant.

I think it was 1996, or maybe even 1995. We had our little house on Daytona Avenue and we didn't have our son Shay yet.

Fast forward to 2011. Gary and I went up into the mountains one day, and I insisted on climbing up to see the huge saguaro. What I found was a pile of sticks, down in the bottom of the canyon. My huge cactus had fallen and dried up into nothing.
I later dug up all the photos like the one above, so I could show Gary what the big deal was. The pictures were a shock, I didn't know that I looked like such a baby face back then! I was a child! And here I was, next to this healthy, vibrant cactus reaching for the sky.
Now here we are in 2011. Not a baby face anymore. And my giant cactus friend is a memory. Ah, a metaphor.