Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Happy B Day to Meeeee

I am rounding out my day with a Coors, because I have a great headache and the little pills aren't helping.

I worked this morning, had a lunch out at the airport with Steve, then headed to Steve's friend's house to sit with his wife while he ran errands. She is a cancer patient, and is suffering from a tremendously fast-moving case of dementia. He had Hospice volunteers helping with the babysitting, but then she attacked a Hospice volunteer. I think maybe the volunteer tried to physically restrain her, and it set her off. While the husband is trying to get her placed in a nursing facility that can handle her, I have offered to sit with her so he can at least get his grocery shopping done. I read a story to her from a magazine, and she actually sat still and listened to me. It was about a gentleman who was John Wayne's pilot.
There was only one moment where I thought she was agitated, but it passed pretty quickly. I will be going back on Thursday so he can break away and get some things done.

So, now that I am 35, it is officially okay for me to be "dating" a 51 year old. That's right, I'm no longer too young. I've crossed that threshold.

And now that I am 35, I cannot be told that I'm just a "spring chicken." Sorry, but Spring Chickens are not old tough birds like me.
It helps to hang out with a lot of people who are considerably older than I am, because they keep me feeling young. Every time I make a new friend and I think she's about my age, I find out that she's already passed thru menopause. Sheesh.

Here's a photo that Jack took of me. It is one of those dual-meaning ones, as it was sunset--and I have finally entered my sunset years.....