Sunday, July 26, 2009

The International Space Station

I love looking at the skies, especially at night. When Brandy and R.J. were here, I kept insisting on watching for satellites, which frequently cross the starry sky over our back yard. They never saw them.
One night recently I couldn't sleep, so I wandered out to the back patio and lay down to watch for satellites. Kitty Meow Meow Jackson joined me and we soaked up the radiating heat from the so-called "Cool deck" that surrounds the pool. 2am, and the cool deck is still radiating enough heat to feel like an electric heating pad. Hmmm.

I watched what looked like a satellite, but it was much brighter. MUCH brighter. It silently moved across the sky, a bit quicker than a satellite. It moved West to East, then disappeared over the mountains. My heart quickened. Had I seen a UFO? FINALLY???

Then the evening news came on tonight and showed video of what the International Space Station looks like to the naked eye. And that's exactly what I have; Naked Eyes. (name that 80's song....)

I excitedly informed Steve that I had finally solved my UFO conundrum, it was really the Space Station. And how did I do that? I ran around the house yelling, "That's no moon, it's a space station!!!" He didn't get it. Hasn't seen Star Wars as much as I have.

Isn't it cool and kind of disturbing that a person laying on their back patio can see a floating space station from several thousand miles away with their Naked Eyes???
Okay, I'll name that 80's song; "Always Something There to Remind Me...."

On a sort of related note.....did you know that the moon is made of 30 to 60 percent glass, and that's why it's so reflective? Crazy stuff I learned from watching moon documentaries.