Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Santa Cruz

Since I was a teen, I knew the destination of Santa Cruz California was one for bicyclists and skateboarders. When I saw on the map that we were about 45 minutes south of there, I HAD to check it out.

It is definitely a different kind of place. Hippies, musicians, and homeless people hang out in the downtown tourist area.


Lots of people riding around on their bikes and sipping coffee at the sidewalk cafes.
We chose to try the Bad Ass Coffee:



It was a cute place with a very relaxed vibe.

Little did we know, that the huge fires that would lead to California declaring a State of Emergency were sparking up that day. As we were there in Santa Cruz! And the next day, I read that a pre-historic whale carcass had washed up on the beach and paleontologists were called in to determine how many millions of years this thing had been floating around in the ocean. It just happened to wash up in Santa Cruz, the day we were there. Blasted!!