Saturday, December 5, 2009

Hotel Congress

I haven't researched it much, but I do know this: John Dillinger (the piece of crap outlaw from the Great Depression--sorry I don't idolize bank robbers and murderers) was busted in Tucson, Arizona at the old Hotel Congress. While I was in Tucson this morning I made it a point to get downtown and get a couple of photos of the hotel. What a great opportunity! Dillinger was arrested there in 1934, and the hotel remains.





But almost nearly as intruiging (did I spell that right?) was the bus stop I spotted down the street. There was a couple of unhappy looking youth sitting there, and I let them know I was photographing them. They didn't care:



I also was fascinated with the way the City of Tucson decided to decorate this retaining wall. Normally cities go with some southwest type of abstract art but this wall has an old black and white photo of downtown Tucson from a loooooong time ago:



So as it stands right now, I don't hate Tucson so much anymore. It's got some great history (of which I'll write more about later) and the traffic is just something you can't complain about. Traffic's bad everywhere I suppose.