Saturday, December 5, 2009

Tucson Aint So Bad

The first time I visited Tucson (I say visited but it's usually some sort of requirement for me to be there; convention or class or whatever) I hated it. I hated the traffic, the streets, the construction, the clouds, the mountains, the curbs, the hotels, you name it.
It's growing on me now.

It takes nearly 6 hours to drive there from home, and it's not a very interesting drive.

Well, there's Salome Road.

I've written about it before. It's a short cut that gets me from a very isolated rural highway to the Interstate. And it's open range, which means the cattle walk around wherever they want. And they do just that. But semi trucks know about this short cut, and they use it! The cows do not win this battle.
The shoulder of the road is littered with cow carcasses, and the roadway itself is painted with the words: Watch For Cows.



Driving this road at night is quite a thrill, in my tiny car, because I have no cell phone signal, and my car is actually smaller and lighter than a cow. So I would lose in this particular case. But I don't care to go the 55 mph speed limit and I don't have very good headlights. Not on the car, anyway.

I drive the entire length of this road with my eyes peeled and both hands gripping the steering wheel. There is no changing of the radio station, there is no reaching for a drink or anything else in the car, just concentration on the very dangerous road ahead. I have had cows jump out and run right out in front of me on Salome Road, but it's always during the day. I think they're crazy.

On this trip, only a few coyotes and deer ran out from the darkness in front of me. There were some shooting stars, which were amazing. They floated down slowly over the roadway right in front of me. Oh, but there was a fresh bull carcass laying over to the side.