Monday, May 31, 2010

Blessed Memorial Day To You

Although I didn't take any photos (yes I know that's improper grammar) I did manage to attend a memorable event for Memorial Day.

A local kid, Patrick Tinnell, went away to Iraq and was killed in action. He was one of those locals who was into BMX and skateboarding, and he was happy to hang out with the younger kids and teach them tricks. He was a good role model, and his death was felt by a lot of people here.

Immediately, a group was formed to try to find a way to honor Patrick's life by raising money to build a skate park. It grew to be more than just that--it's a multi-use park for all kinds of extreme sports. After a strong start, and a lot of donations, the recession hit. Donations slowed down to very little. But the committee exists still, trying to get to the one million dollar mark that they need to get this park built. They still have fundraisers, but they are all working indiviuals who can't dedicate all of their time to this cause.

Today, the owners of a local restaurant dedicated the fountain in their dining patio to the Patrick Tinnell Park project--and they have vowed that any coins pulled from the fountain will be donated to the Park. And that's the event I attended.
I also managed to gain a few voters. So I did manage to make good use of my time today!!

Sitting at home and feeling sorry for myself will be limited to Sundays.