Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Orchids and Onions

Our local paper has a section in the back called "Orchids and Onions." Readers can submit an orchid to someone they like, and an onion to someone who has done them wrong. It gets very interesting, because sometimes people fight an entire neighborhood battle thru the feature.

"Onions to my neighbor who won't take care of his barking dog."

"Onions to the onion giver who complained about my dog. It's not my dog. It's the other neighbor's. Get a life."

"Onions to the onion giver who says it's not his dog barking that I originally sent onions to. It IS your dog. I'm calling code enforcement next time."

The nastiness heats up in the winter because of our influx of senior citizens. It gets so good you don't read the orchids. The onions are just too good.


But, the orchids do exist. Shay got one when he found someone's wallet and we returned it to him.
Waldo's BBQ got an orchid very regularly when they first opened. That was back when they had enough staff. Now all I hear is complaints that the service sucks. IF YOU'RE READING THIS JOE....YOU BETTER GET MORE STAFF OUT THERE!!!

Today's orchid was for my friend Carey, who started his own heating and air conditioning business.



I did email Carey recently to tell him how proud I am that he's been able to start a business in such difficult economic times and actually make a success out of it. He works his tail off!!

Orchids to Carey. Super air conditioning man.