Sunday, April 20, 2008

A Brand New Me


Just got done with the physical work of returning equipment that I borrowed for the Relay For Life. Generators, EZ Up Canopies, tables, trailers, vehicles, golf carts, the sound systems, and of course it all had to be cleaned before it was returned.
The track where we have the event has a dirt track with a grass infield. Uck.
We started setting up the event on Friday at 7:30am, and kicked off the walking and entertainment at 6pm. Since I was the only D.J., I got to be onstage with the sound equipment all night. ALL NIGHT. I got a one hour break at 3 am, since I could just put on a CD with mix music. But the rest of the time I had to be there because there were contests and activities that required someone to babysit the music and change it out often. I had two radio stations doing live broadcasts, so periodically they'd come over and interview me on the air. After each broadcast, my cell phone would ring. Someone calling to let me know they'd just heard me. Funny, but not very easy to handle because usually I had two or three people standing there waiting to ask me a question, prompt me to make an announcement, or to tell me something important. Busy, busy, busy. After setting up in the 95 degree heat all day, it was difficult to keep my cool once the event got really busy. I really got grumpy around midnight and had to take a handful of ibuprofen with some EXREMELY strong coffee. That helped a lot!!
The funniest stuff happened in the middle of the night, when we had disco hour and the Ms. Relay competition. Disco hour was quite popular, with people dancing everywhere. I had the costume stuff to complete the Village People onstage, so we recruited volunteers to do the dance. Then Ms. Relay, which was actually a drag queen competition, took the stage. Very funny! Shay participated, wearing my purple boa, Elton John sunglasses, and his shirt tied up like a tight little half shirt. He said into the microphone that his name was "Shayla." The Ms. Relay contestants circled the track asking for donations, bringing in $500. Wow!

When we did our closing ceremonies at 8am on Saturday, we counted about $50,000 in fundraising totals. That included the $400 brought in on the quilt raffle--thanks very much to Miss Brandy!! Everyone was in awe of the quilt, but I made sure that when a ticket was drawn it came from the Cancer Survivor registrants.
The t.v. and Wii went to some very active team members who had raised a lot of money for us, so I was grateful they won the prizes. Very cool.
All night long, I had our luminaries near the stage so I could keep an eye on them. Luminaries are little white paper bags decorated to honor people who have died of Cancer. Steve's mom was there with me all night, which felt kinda neat. My friend Regan was right next to her, as well as Steve's grandma. I hope I put on a good show for them.

The nicest compliment came from a gal who puts on the Relay For Life in a neighboring community of ours, Kingman. She was very impressed with how well organized and how well attended the event was. Glad to hear it.