Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Pebble Beach

Pebble Beach my ass! More like sharp rock beach. There was no sand, just a rocky shoreline that meets up with VERY VERY VERY expensive pine tree encrusted properties.
The car show itself was quite an experience. Lots of super rich people who were interested only in themselves and their million dollar cars. Couldn't have a conversation with anyone because I wasn't a billionaire. BOOOORINGGGGG!!!
And it was cold. Colder than a typical day at home in the winter. The average was 50 degrees and I don't know how we survived. Actually we wouldn't have survived if Steve's boss hadn't offered the use of his suite for the most of the day. We couldn't sit out in the weather.
Here's a couple of hilights though. First thing in the morning, before the "public" was invited into the show, I ran into Jay Leno. This little tiny old lady had stopped him for a photograph and she shoved her huge handbag at him so he could hold it while she fumbled for her camera. Notice the "thrilled" look on Jay's face as he held her purse:


Then, I ran into Kyle Petty (Richard Petty's son) I took his photo but didn't bother him. He seemed to enjoy the attention, though. I guess I should've said hi. Here he is, posing with someone:


The heiress to the Merle Norman Cosmetics corporation was there, she had three cars entered in the show and all three got trophies. She's a billionaire, and she was dressed like a grandma. A red outfit with red shoes. I know I'm not the fashion queen, but she looked icky. Ralph Lauren would agree, he was there. I saw him only momentarily. I only remember the older pictures of him where he was a silver fox. He didn't look like his old pictures.

So I rubbed shoulders with some of the richest people on Earth. Found out that they weren't that outgoing. Hmmm. They were sooo into themselves. I figured it would be a big celebration, being one of the most prestigious car shows out there. Turns out, it was a way for them to kind of give each other the "snake eyes" from across the golf course. I did enjoy myself, of course. I don't go ten hours in one direction to have a horrible time!! I got to see a display of about 20 Concept Cars from the 1950's, and it just blew my mind.


I also got to see a display of Concept Cars from 2008. That equally blew my mind:


I saw women wearing hats the size of umbrellas, men wearing old-timey suits to match their old-timey cars, and kids in lavendar three piece get-ups.
The awards girls were dressed up like flappers and speak-easy gals:


And the people crammed onto this golf course like it was a Motley Crue concert in 1988:



Steve enjoyed himself, once he was in the suite and watching all the activity from a nice comfy room:


We had someone take a photo of us, to prove we were there. Kinda dark photo, though.


We traveled seperately after the show was over, because I needed to hurry home and get to work, and Steve was driving the transporter with his boss's show car in it. On the way home I stopped by the James Dean Memorial which is located in the middle of nowhere. It was put up down the road from where he crashed his car and died. I got pictures on my cell phone, and I haven't learned how to load the pictures onto my computer yet. He truly couldn't have wrecked in a worse place. It is at least an hour to the nearest town.

Now that I'm home I have to focus on work because I don't know if my boss remembers that I'm traveling to Minneapolis at the end of the month. A whole week away from work and home!!!