Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Chile Rellenos

I believe the translation for Chile Rellenos is "You Will Be A Fat Ass" but I'm not sure about that.

My quest for the perfect C.R.'s started about a year ago. I began "research" by trying the dish at different types of restaurants. Then began looking at recipes on the internet. After trial and error, I found the best way to make them was to ask a restaurant owner and boy did that pay off.

Oh R.J., this is what I was doing while on the phone with you....

First you roast the chiles and then place them in a ziplock bag to steam them for about 20 minutes. I prefer to leave the skins on, because it makes it easier to work with them. But some people skin them. They must like misery.

Then, stuff them with cheese. Like so...


Then dip the chile in a egg and flour batter, roll it in a little flour:

Then throw it in some hot oil:


At this point, my trusty photographer ran off to watch the Family Guy, not realizing that we weren't DONE!!!

After the chiles have been fried for about 1 minute, transfer them to a greased casserole dish, add a little bit of enchilada sauce, a LOT of cheese on top, and bake it long enough for the cheese to melt.

I just happened to make my own refried beans on this particular day, so I served them together. And now we're all just a little bit fatter....