Sunday, March 1, 2009

Jet Skis, Ugh....

Only once have I worked at a jet ski race where the weather was absolutely perfect. Once. It was in Mexico, it was the FIRST race I ever worked, and it was gorgeous weather. The hotels had no heaters because of the tropical climate, and I remember walking around barefoot on the sandy sidewalks and white beaches in between races. I scored the race with a clipboard while standing in warm, thigh-deep ocean water.
It was no wonder that I took every opportunity after that to work at more jet ski races.

But I've never had good weather, not since then. I've stood in 40 degree water with a very thin dry suit (it's a non-insulated rubber suit that is meant to be worn in somewhat warmer conditions) I've sat on numerous boats with my clipboard, trying to shield myself from the cold wind and freezing water spray. I've burned to a pile of red blistered skin in the 100 degree heat, I've fought rain and snow, and I've done this for almost ten years now. Waiting, just waiting, for that perfect weather again.

Yesterday. Was. Frikkin. Cold.

All last week we enjoyed 80 degree weather. Then when it was time for the 300 mile jet ski race to begin, the wind decided to howl. Out of the north. So that made it quite a bit colder. And we were out on a little boat that was being knocked around by the huge swells on the lake. This race has ten mile laps, and 60 racers who attempt to compete in the rough water every year for the bragging rights to the world's longest continuous jet ski endurance race.

How does one score such a race? We have clipboards, and every time a jet ski, or a "boat" goes by, we record their number. The first "boat" to complete all thirty laps is declared the winner. It takes about six hours for this to happen. Every line we have is numbered, and I remember looking down and realizing at the end of the race that I had recorded over 1,012 racer numbers since the start.

I couldn't take a photo of the start, because our boat was rocking so badly I was afraid of my camera going into the water. But once the water got a little better, I managed to get some great photos:



I made sure to get really good photos of this particular jet ski, because of the number plate. Brandy would probably agree.... That's a 411 if you couldn't tell...


I even got a photo of myself, looking out for jet ski numbers:

Don't I look professional? Looks are deceiving.