Thursday, March 26, 2009

I Love Pioneer Woman


I made PW's latest dish, Pasta with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce. Steve just happened to come home with a big bag of red bell peppers, (I'll give that reason in a minute) and when I was reading PW I found the wonderful recipe.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/pasta-with-roasted-red-pepper-sauce.pdf

Now. Those peppers. We live down the highway from the California border. And while California is broke (thanks to people like Octo-psycho) they still manage to keep the produce inspection station open. So nobody will sneak fruits or vegetables into the Golden State. They're still convinced after all these years that tiny insects will invade their farms and orchards, and ruin crops. Thus, ruining California's economy.
Oh, okay.
Instead of throwing out the seized goods, it is donated to church groups who have distribution programs for the needy. Well I guess they recently seized a LOT of red bell peppers. And cabbage. Steve's friend picks up the produce from the inspection station, and takes it all to the church. But there was so much extra stuff, the volunteers started calling people to try and get it picked up before it went bad. Steve got a call from his friend and he ran over to get some.
Now we've got a HUGE head of cabbage and lots of peppers. We'll have an Irish extravaganza on Saturday with the cabbage and the corned beef that I picked up on sale yesterday. Turns out, the grocery store ordered WAAAY too much corned beef for St Patrick's day and it didn't sell!! So I got 6 pounds of the meat for a song and a dance. Just which song and dance I did will remain a mystery.