Tuesday, April 7, 2009

I Am The Dog Whisperer

I know what's gonna happen--since I titled the blog with Dog Whisperer all these people will be coming here via Google because they were looking for that fruitcake Caesar who THINKS he's the Dog Whisperer. No matter.
I have proof. Unedited PROOF, unlike Caesar who has his efforts edited tremendously.

I got an email a couple of months ago from a woman who needed a dog sitter. She mentioned in her email that her dog was a bit "special."
Special is being kind, actually. He's a Chihuaha who has never been socialized. So he is extremely centered around his owner. Everyone else in the world is an enemy, in his mind. He bites, he does circles as a nervous habit, (he'll go for an hour if you let him) and he is not potty trained in the least bit. He has to wear a diaper in the house because he simply cannot be potty trained.

When I met him last week, he couldn't stop barking at me. That shrill, insistant yap that a Chihuaha has. And his owner had to restrain him because he wanted to bite at every exposed bit of skin I had. Ankles, fingers, face, whatever.

After about 45 minutes he calmed down. But still wouldn't let me approach him. His owner showed me his diapers, which have to be changed several times a day, and his leash, because he needs to be walked. That means I'd have to find a creative way to touch him without being bitten. Hmmm....

On Sunday I was bitten several times. I was wearing gloves, but ol' Bailey managed to get my ankles. Every time I turned my back on him, he bit. And I had to chase him around the house to change his diaper. That was about 20 minutes. Putting on his leash was the most difficult because I had to have my face near his. I really did not want a dog bite on the face.

After two days of walking, feeding, diaper changing, Bailey had warmed up to me.
So today I thought I'd prove just how good of friends we'd become:



He was actually begging me to pick him up, and loved having his back scratched.

And of course he likes the kisses:



I am the Dog Whisperer.