Saturday, April 18, 2009

Relay For Life Lake Havasu

So proud to have been a tiny little part of the American Cancer Society's Relay For Life again. This is an annual fundraiser that takes place all over the world to raise money for Cancer Research, programs, and education. My first year of involvement I was the Chair, and our committee and teams managed to raise over $60,000. My second year as Chair was last year, and we raised somewhere around $55,000. This year I had to cut back my responsibilities so I did Publicity only, but luckily we had a HUGE Committee of volunteers to take up the slack.

Opening ceremonies begin at 6pm, and we always have a presentation of colors and national anthem.









We had a military theme this year, and I was really excited to see what people did with their campsites to go with that. And all the CAMO!!! I was in heaven. Of course I had a full camo outfit that Steve got me at a military surplus.




Throughout the night, there's fundraisers and activities on the track and on the infield. I did have to try the chin-up bar. I got three consecutive chin-ups. I was nervous because there was a Marine and Air Force guy standing there watching.






The Luminary Ceremony, where hundreds of white bags with candles are decorated by individuals and placed around the track. They are in honor of those who have been fighting cancer and in memory of those who have died. Everyone gathers near the stage for the ceremony that has a slide show of names being honored or remembered.




The HOPE Luminaries on the bleachers are changed to say CURE:





Will, Larry, and I took a jaunt on the Segway scooters that were onsite. We've all determined we NEED one of these:




Walking continues all night, with closing ceremonies at 8am on Saturday. I came home sometime around midnight so I could get a little rest and be fresh for the BIG responsibility: track clean up.
Well, and also I had over 300 pictures to upload to my laptop and crop. I need to get them on a disk so everyone on the committee can send them out to family and friends. Big event, lots of fun.
I will keep you posted on what the fundraising totals were this year.