Saturday, May 16, 2009

How To Trim a Cactus Plant

How do you trim a cactus? VERY CAREFULLY....

I just love cacti (notice I used the grammatically correct plural form of the word)
I can't get over how easy they are to maintain. And to plant. Really, all you have to do, is stick a cutting from a cactus plant into the ground and it will grow. I wish it were that easy with everything else in the yard.

Last spring I needed to lop off a few growths of the cactus I'd planted in the back yard, so I grabbed the tongs and a cardboard box. Nevermind that I was wearing flip flop sandals and a bikini. It was HOT outside. The first trim that I made fell straight onto my flip flopped foot. Steve walked around the corner just in time to see all the 2" long needles sticking out of my toes. There had to be about 20 of them. He quickly set into action by taking a photo with his cell phone and quipping, "I'm going to title this picture, "Redneck cactus trimming." Not cool. Not cool at all.
These particular cactus needles form an air vaccuum once they dig into your skin. Pull as hard as you want, they won't come out. You have to snip off the ends with a pair of very sharp scissors in order to break the air vaccuum and get the needle out of your skin. It hurts as much as it sounds like it does.

This year I decided to at least wear some good shoes, so I wouldn't have a replay of last year.

But I forgot gloves. Welding gloves....


At least it was only one needle.

I worked diligently, using my tongs to coordinate the trimming and disposing.



No more cactus trimming. Not this year, anyway.