Sunday, June 7, 2009

Post Baja, Feelin Kinda Tired

I only have a few photos of our weekend excursion; on our first night there my trusty dusty camera was stolen right out of my pocket. I took some stuff with my phone, and here's the good ones:

Everyone asks if I'm scared to go to Mexico with all the crime. Not at all! They surround us with quite capable security



Every race, we have the military around us for crowd control, and it is quite necessary. The locals sometimes get a little too excited about the big trucks. But Saturday was especially tight on security because the Governor of Norte Baja was coming for the start of the race. With the drug cartel violence getting worse, the organizers of the race and the Governor's people thought it necessary to really clamp down on the crowds.
Just before the start of the race I was told that a local police officer was kidnapped by a Cartel and his body was found out in the desert. Nice.

This is off road racer Brian Collins giving an interview right before he kindly signed an autograph for me. Shay's got such a cool collection:


I promise to have more photos very soon, Jim and Sunny are emailing me the ones I took with their camera.