Thursday, July 9, 2009

Not So Smart Phone

I'm not a "tekkie" and I don't always need the latest gadgets. But last year I found myself with a very busy schedule and the only way to keep up was to get a Palm that could remind me of my appointments and stuff. So I got a Palm Centro phone and I've struggled with it ever since. It has a touch screen, and if that touch screen should come into contact with change in your pocket or something it doesn't like, it shuts down. No touch screen, no phone. I paid a lot of money to fix the LCD touch screen when that happened.
So it's a phone you can't put in your pocket. Or have in the bathroom while you shower because the moisture can corrupt it just as badly as a rain storm. And it can't be in the heat because it will shut down. It had internet capability, but the only time I was able to successfully log on is when I wanted to download new ringtones. I had them all: AC/DC, Superman Theme, some Bluegrass, Whitesnake...
But I was never able to log onto the internet to check news. And that, I hate.

Basically, it's an undependable laptop that you have to carry around with you all the time.

I was cleaning the pool yesterday when my little undependable laptop slipped out of my pocket and into the water.

I didn't even try. I remember on the older phones you could dry them out and they'd work again. Nope, not on this one. It was toast. Went straight to the Sprint store and picked out a new one.

This time, no touch screen and it's a flip phone so it doesn't matter what's in my stinkin' pocket. And the display screen is HUGE.
Here's a pic of old pink phone next to new purple phone:



And check out the screen on the new phone:



The new phone is not a "Smart Phone" so that means I can't sync it with my computer. But I didn't ever do that with the old phone. So I don't care. But it has a card slot so I can import and export pictures and files to my computer. Or I can just email them to myself. Email that I can check on the new phone just fine--all three email accounts are already set up on there.
I have no phone numbers yet because we're waiting for the old phone to dry out so we can attempt to extract all 300 contacts. It's sitting in a bag of rice right now.

How pitiful. A $400 piece of technology ruined because I had to clean the pool.
Another lesson learned.