Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Time To Be An Adult

This Friday and Saturday I'm traveling to Phoenix in my Big Girl Pants to attend some State G.O.P. meetings and banquets. I've been invited to a reception that our Governor is putting on, and an awards ceremony at which I may or may not be accepting a plaque for my Republican Women's work in our community. Don't know yet, I'll know on Friday. That would be particularly exciting because it will be in front of all the G.O.P. of our state.
The State meeting on Saturday should be a fun and contentious one, because there are some huge decisions to be made. The rules governing how we manage our money that we've fundraised up here in Havasu may change severely. And the G.O.P. will be deciding if it will continue to allow Independant voters to participate in our Primary elections. In most other states, the Independants do not vote until the General election. That's how it's always been. For some reason, that's not how it was set up in Arizona. So of course when I mention to Independent voters that they might get kicked out of our Primary, they get ALL UPSET. Well, geez, the answer is simple: Either wait for the General election to cast your vote or register as a Republican or Democrat. The Primary elections determine who our party is going to support and spend money on. Why would we want the opinion of an Independant voter who doesn't contribute to our funds? Hmmm....

Yes, I've seen the other side of the argument, and I think it's pretty weak.
Our people fundraise one dollar at a time. Not from the general public, but from registered Republicans. So we need to concentrate on using that money to support candidates who have the votes of the registered Republicans. Makes sense, right?