Tuesday, March 23, 2010

How to Roast 1,000 Chiles All At Once




I've heard stories, from Steve. He's heard stories, from his friend Tony. Really, this is the stuff we talk about. He heard that a local grocery store roasts the chile peppers right out front, and they package them up and you can buy them for about $1.00 a pound. So that takes about an hour off of your preparation time when you're making something like Chile Rellanos. Or Rellenos.
Unfortunately I find the smell of roasting chiles to be an aphrodisiac, so I prefer to roast my own. But finding that smell on a Wednesday while I was shopping for potatoes and corned beef certainly perked up my senses!

I was most certainly the only grocery shopper who had a camera, but I wasn't the only one who stood and admired the show. Kind of like a circus act.