Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A Mutual Love

I've never met anyone who loved old books as much as me. While Steve and I had some spare time in Phoenix (Mesa, actually...) we visited two used book stores and managed to come away very happy with a couple of bags of great books. It was a very nice afternoon together, doing something we both enjoyed a lot.

It's not set up like a swap meet or anything, it's a very large store that smells like an old library. The floors are wood and they creak as you walk around slowly, it is incredibly quiet, and there's books as far as you can see.



I found one book in particular that I couldn't put down. It's called "Manhunt," it's by James L. Swanson. The book was a very nicely researched chronicle of Abraham Lincoln's murder and the subsequent hunt for not only John Wilkes Booth but also the many people who aided him. I managed to finish the 400 pages in just a couple of days, I couldn't put it down!

Well now I'm completely fascinated with the events of that time period--so when there's a show about the Civil War on the History Channel I record it and study it. Oh great, now I'm one of THOSE people. Soon you'll see me dressed up and participating in a re-enactment somewhere.

But, back to the book store...



I found a small book shelf with tiny little books. There was two Almanacs from 1859, and 1850. I couldn't believe I was holding these books from over 150 years ago! In both of them, there were notes written in pencil. The handwriting was a beautiful, artful, curly-q type and sometimes it was so small I couldn't read the words. It was pre-Civil War (and I know this because I'm obsessed with the Civil War now....yayyyy....) and a few of the hand-written notes spoke of executions or birthdays. That's kind of fascinating, that those were the only readable words. Deaths or births. In 150 years from now, will there be someone reading my words?

Steve found several books, one was a huge cook book from some gals in Minnesota. Another was written about southern Arizona, where he grew up. He finished that book before we managed to drive home on Thursday!

My other book was not really one that's so factual; it's a handbook on palm reading. Just thought it would be a fun parlor-trick kind of thing to learn. It's not catching on with me yet.