Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Auction Memories

This past weekend we watched the high dollar auto auctions on T.V. and it reminded me of our automotive auction experiences back in 2009. What a great time, it was at the Peterson's Automotive Museum in downtown L.A.
One person who has had my admiration for many years is the very talented George Barris, and he put in an appearance at this particular auction. I was star-struck.
So the moment I saw him apart from the crowds I approached and asked if I could get a photo. He was MORE than accommodating, he was happy to hang out with us and take pictures. I couldn't believe I was standing there talking to GEORGE BARRIS....


He joked with Shay and I when he noticed that I had had Shay do this particular pose behind his back...


So he playfully did this pose:


You're sitting there saying to yourself, "Big deal, who is this George guy?"

He and his brother began building custom hot rods in L.A. back when the industry was just starting to take off. Soon he began building exotic customs for movies and t.v. shows, which is where his work is really known.
He designed and built the original Monkees Mobile, the Green Hornet's car, the Munsters Mobile, Batmobiles, the Flintstones' car, KITT from Knight Rider, the Beverly Hillbillies truck, "The Car," and he was the builder of the General Lee.

One of my favorite Barris customs was not from a t.v. show or movie, it was a novelty custom--just one of many. It's called Kargoyle:


I've always loved cars, and it was a big thrill to get to know Mr. Barris. He's invited us for a tour of his shop in L.A., and one of these days I'm going!!!